Wednesday, July 11, 2007

First Day

Today was my first day at my new job. Oddly, I thought that I would be very nervous going in today, but I was totally calm. That is, until I realized that I'd forgotten my umbrella, decided to turn around and run back home, tried to pull into what used to be an open driveway near my street, and ran my passenger front end over a big fat curb. It made a bit of a mess of my right front bumper. Mr. Strange set it straight when I got home, but in the back of my mind, all day I was thinking "I just bought my car" (I'm leasing). What a way to start the day!! By the time I arrived at work, I was so overwrought by the car that I didn't have time to be nervous!

I shook hands with so many people that I gave up trying to remember names after the second floor (the firm occupies 3 full floors and maintains an office on a fourth). I can say one thing: ladies, learn how to shake hands. Too many limp, flaccid hands out there! Just a suggestion. My overall impression is that I feel like I have "arrived". Today I spent hours in a computer class with my company issued laptop (!!!) and was then taken to lunch by my colleagues (paid for by the firm) (!!!). I don't have my own office yet, but will soon, in addition to a company credit card (!!!). Many years ago, when I was in college and studying for my profession, this is the sort of "dream job" I envisioned. Now it's real. Pinch me! Later, when I complain about how stressed I am from work.

Yesterday was my last day at my old company. They threw a farewell lunch with strawberry rhubarb pie (my request) after which, I was told I could go home early. Bwaaah! I burst into tears. I wasn't ready! It was really hard, after 9 and a half years to leave. I felt like a kid leaving home and going away to college. When I got home, I didn't know what to do with myself, so I sewed all my quilt blocks together. I plan on picking out my border fabrics this weekend, and then it's off to the machine quilter. I will finish this. Really.

I've also made significant progress on Ginger. The front is done, and I'm just beginning the right back after the neck divide. See that tiny ball of yarn? That's all I have left. Hmph! We'll see if it's enough. If it isn't, I'm going to curse Rowan.
This past weekend, my mom and I went to Mariner's Compass in Bath at it's new location, where I found a new pattern book, Happy Hour by Atkinson Designs, Amy Butler's Madison Bag Pattern, and a Moda Jelly Roll in a new fabric, Fresh Air, coming out in the fall. Note to self: stop buying things!
I'm dying to make the quilt on the cover of the Happy Hour book, but am forcing myself to wait until the Maine Quilt Show at the end of the month. OH! One of my new co-workers is a quilter! I can't wait to find out if there are any knitters! Maybe during the winter, I'll find them in the lunchroom.

In the middle of all of this job excitement, I've been enjoying my half birthday gifts:

Day 8 from Jill: a fun plate and some Stonewall Kitchen Red Pepper Jelly. If you see this jelly anywhere, buy some. It tastes great when poured over cream cheese and served with wheat crackers!
Day 9 from Linda: 2 Buttermilk Basin patterns with sheep (baaaa, love sheepy things) and a machine quilting book.
Day 10 from Winnie: a beach mat, reflector mat and the world's largest thermometer! Is that so I can see it when my eyes go bad? ;)
Day 11 from Dee: A cute little photo/note holder. I was recently admiring these at the store!!!
Day 12 from Annie: A Halloween plate (which happens to match the mug Annie gave me last year!), Crackers and salsaaaaaaah!
Day 13 from Dee: A sassy mug with attitude!
Speaking of attitude, earlier this evening, I hemmed a new pair of slacks to wear to work tomorrow. The only thing worse than hemming pants? Hemming pants that are sized "petite".

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Yeah for you - re: new job. It must feel so good to have a job you want to everyday. Curious - what is your dream job that you are in?

love all the goodies too.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you but soooo sad that I have lost my knitting lunch time buddy. You will be able to find me during break, looking lost and wandering the Old Port. We all miss you but you are missing the stress show.

Anonymous said...

Congrats. I am so happy for you. Enjoy what you have worked so hard for. And yes I agree that women need to learn to shake hands. What is worse than a woman with a bad handshake? A guy with one! Or a guy that doesn't know what to do when a woman offers her hand to shake. I have had some guys be totally dumbfounded. Have a terrific week.

Darrin