Sunday, June 10, 2007

T in the Sahara

Thanks for all the compliments on Surplice! I'm so pleased with the way it came out. Having worn it to work one day last week, I can tell you that it did not lose it's shape at all. The only caveat is that the neckline migrated somewhat, requiring that I make quick use of clear packing tape to avoid TMC (too much cleavage). The next time I wear it, I'll probably wear a cotton cami underneath.

Speaking of hoochie mama garments, I've made significant progress on Sahara this week:
Even with the lace insert to be added to the neckline, it's quite obvious that this will be a weekend wear. Right now it measures about 28 inches at the bust (gulp), but stretches easily to 34. My stitch gauge is spot on, but my row gauge is a little shorter than recommended, so I am following the row counts, rather than measurements, figuring that it will have the effect of shortening things to fit my frame.

Knitting has provided a much needed oasis this week. Let's just say that I'm on the verge of making a major change in my life, and have been using the computer for reasons more professional than recreational. It would be an understatement to say that this has me a bit nerved up. I just keep reminding myself, in the words of that great inspirational speaker, Stuart Smalley: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me". Would it be silly to say that I can leap very small buildings in single bound? Because honestly, it seems like the whole self promotion document (you know the kind I mean) is a big brag book, and I feel embarrassed to write about myself that way, even if what I say is true. Maybe I need an agent?

I do feel comfortable bragging about my creative achievements. I finished the blocks for LTL today. I wonder if they should be blocked before I sew them together? Right now I'm just trying to find a pleasing color combination. This is what I've come up with so far:

Side A

Side B

The whole shebang

Mission Falls has a dark eggplant color ("Damson") that I am considering using for the rest of the bag. Initially I thought of brown (big surprise there) but didn't like the shade in the 1824 wool. Black seems obvious, but I hardly wear black anymore. I may go completely off pattern when it comes to constructing the fabric liner. Mostly because my blocks finish smaller than written. I'd like it to be really sturdy, and have considered reinforcing it with plastic canvas - hidden, of course.

I had to make myself stop making blocks for this bag, but the evil seed that I need a crocheted throw has been planted. Funny, if you consider that I've never wanted to knit a throw. OK, maybe one of those Ab Fab Colinette kits, if I could afford it or was miraculously gifted one. Don't worry, I don't expect kits to come flying at me through the mail. All that aside, I don't need another project. I worked off a little anxiety this week by storing away all of my WIP's that I plan to finish later. Just in case you're wondering, Ariann, the Bailey Island Scarf, Pomatomas, the Next Steps 2 Cardigan, and a pair of plain old basic socks are on summer vacation and the Sunburst Pullover may be coming back for a visit.

Jobs are temporary. Knitting is forever.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Glad to see you have some WIP's too (lol). Have you considered a ripple blanket? Ooooh watch out or the ripple will get ya!

Sara Kirby said...

So, as per usual, I am sifting through your blog and once again got inspired.

I myself have been working on a granny square blanket that I started well over a year ago but put on the back shelf when I moved to my new digs. But as I'm scrolling through your entertaining pages I saw your LTL CAL bag. I immediately started to look for the pattern. Ran out at lunch, bought the Interweave mag and will begin plotting my colors tonight!

I too cannot seem to put down the crochet hook. What is it with hooking? Just feels right I guess! haha

Kirby