Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I can cook

Mr. Strange is in Virginia. This means 2 things:

  1. All the lights in the house are on.
  2. I ate popcorn for supper.

I'm also sampling a new brew (new to me at least): Sebago Brewing Company's "Slick Nick Winter Ale". Not too bad. A little sweet, but very seasonal.

I have not touched any knitting this evening. Instead I went grocery shopping for THE BIG DAY. The stores are amazingly quiet at 8:30 pm. No lines. No waiting. I feel like I have the best Thanksgiving plans ever: I'm going to an all girls pajama party Thanksgiving sleepover at my friend Lori's. My contributions to the feast are: Scalloped Sweet and White Potates in Maple Sage Cream Sauce, Green Beans with Bacon and Shallots, Mama Stamberg's Garlicky Cranberry Chutney (simmering cooling this very minute), and a large bottle of Yellow Tail Shiraz. I'll let you know how the Chutney works out. I've made her Cranberry Relish before (it's very pink) for people who were not cranberry lovers. This crowd seems more open to new things.

Here's the recipe for the Green Beans. I've made this dish every year for 6 years, and every time I bring it to a dinner, it becomes a favorite. It's very easy and the ingredients are inexpensive!

Green Beans with Bacon and Shallots

from Bon Appetit, December 2000

2 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces

8 bacon slices, thinly sliced crosswise

3 Tbs Butter

2/3 cup finely chopped shallots (about 4 large)

Cook beans in large pot of boiling salted water until crisp tender, about 4 minutes. Drain. Rinse under cold water. Drain well. Pat dry with paper towels. (Can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Wrap in paper towels; enclose in resealable plastic bag and refrigerate.)

Cook bacon in heavy skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels and drain. Discard all but 3 tablespoons bacon fat in skillet. Add butter to skillet and melt over medium heat. Add shallots and saute until tender and golden, about 4 minutes. Add beans and saute until heated through, about 6 minutes. Add bacon to skillet and toss to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl and serve.

Serves 10.

Edited to add: The chutney is fan-freakin-tastic! Zowie! Hot! Yum! This is the kind of stuff you'll want to eat in a sandwich with leftover turkey or with cream cheese and crackers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cant wait to EAT some GOOD Food!

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving (sorry it's so late!), the food sounds just yummy.

Elly

Anonymous said...

Um, didn't mean to send anonymously just now. Must. Concentrate.

Elly