Monday, August 21, 2006

Something's Afoot!


Since Tilia is technically "off the needles" I decided to stop flirting with socks and start making them again. I just happened to have this lonely little skein of Cherry Tree Hill Super Glitz in the colorway "African Grey" just waiting around for something worthy of it's yummy fall colors with just a touch of bling. It doesn't show up so well in the photo, but there's a glittery strand woven in the yarn. The pattern is the first I've tried from "Sensational Knitted Socks" by Charlene Schurch: it's the Baby Cable Rib, a four stitch pattern knit on size 3 Brittany needles. The pattern is well written and easy to follow unless, like me, you skim through it and say to yourself "I know how to knit socks" and confidently start knitting until you realize that she divides the stitches on the needles differently than most sock patterns, and that failing to follow the directions will cause some serious head scratching when it's time to divide the stitches to knit the heel flap. Doh! (Yes, I bought a new little yarn tote. I know, it's a sickness, but isn't it cute??I'm a sucker for back to school supplies and this one came with a matching notebook! So Twee!)

So here's where things get interesting. There's something wrong with this sock.... you can't see it in this photo...


Heck, I didn't even see it until I had turned the heel and finished the gusset.... but if you look very closely, you'll see that I ran out of bling!! From the end of the leg to the beginning of the toe, there is no glitter. Not even a glimmer! Not what I expected from a skein of yarn that cost more three 6 packs of good micro-brew! Is this what I get for breaking my self-imposed "two project" limit? Bad knitting karma? I plan on contacting the company, because this just isn't good! It sure is pretty though. Heck, it's the foot part. No one will ever see it.

Like a good little knitter, I also worked on Sunburst this weekend. The back is done and on hold for the gusset and the front is in progress. Another beret/jellyfish/booby next to a giant sand dollar. (Yes, that is a different tote, but I made it 3 years ago!)

I tried to get Chloe in on the action, but she was not feeling very photogenic. Note the little feet pushing away the yarn as in "Get this thing away from me!". She was one irritated cat. The tail was thump thumping away so hard that I'm amazed that it isn't a big blur.

The only bad thing about spending a rainy Sunday knitting at my mother's is that I gorged myself on bad cable TV. I can't tell you how many brain cells died, but I can tell you that it would almost be worth it to put up with Flava Flav and Celebrity Fit Club and get cable so I could watch Project Runway every day!

In non-knitting news, I found a new brew (new to me) to try: Magic Hole I.P.A. by Kennebec River Brewery. OK, the name is kind of a rip-off of Magic Hat, and I wouldn't choose it over my current favorite (see On Tap in my sidebar) but it would definitely win a contest over Bud. Not quite as hoppy and crisp as I like, but worthy of a mention. Not everyone likes the bite of bitter.

Since my life is more than just doing things for myself, I spent this evening at my local quilt chapter meeting doing something really worthy. This summer, a good friend of ours, Betty, died after a long and graceful fight with cancer. Sad, yes, but she was a wonderful lady and enjoyed every minute of her life as much as we enjoyed her company. To celebrate her, we put together 2 quilt tops in one evening from 6 inch blocks we all made. (I would post a photo but I haven't quite absorbed this idea of documenting my thoughts and day with photos). The larger full-sized quilt, will be donated to one of her favorite charities for auction, and the smaller, lap sized quilt, will be given to her daughter, Dee, who is also a member of our chapter. We made so many blocks that we still have enough left over to make several baby quilts that will be donated to one of the local charities that our chapter sponsors. What an amazing feeling to be part of this group of kind and generous women. Bottoms up to you Betty!

No comments: