Friday, October 06, 2006

Secret Pal 9 Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I love merino wool (Mission Falls 1824!!) and wool blended with other fibers like angora, silk and cashmere (anything Debbie Bliss). I'm nutty for Noro's Kureyon and Silk Garden. I absolutely do *not* like 100% acrylic, 100% linen, mercerized cotton, or novelty yarns with any kind of fur or fuzz. I am not opposed to subtle glitter.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

I keep my circulars and double points in quilted travel bags with zippered sections. I hardly ever use straight needles, but the few that I have are in a decorative ceramic dry goods canister filled with rice.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I was taught to knit by my grandmother when I was about 6 or 7, but it didn't "take" until 5 years ago. I guess you could say that I am an over-confident intermediate knitter.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Nope.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)

I mostly like earthy (musk, sandalwood, pine) and spicy (cinnamon, almond) scents and some herbal (lavender, coriander, sage). I like some light florals (lily of the valley especially), but I don't like heavy, sweet fruity smells, except fig. I like fig. I love things that smell like pumpkin pie.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

Ohhh. I love dark chocolate. The darker the better.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I don't spin, but I quilt and sew bags and some garments. I also enjoy wool applique (also called "penny rug" or "buttonhole applique") and jewelry making.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I'm so out of the music loop. I tend to stay in the "adult alternative" range, but I do enjoy blues and jazz, especially the old stuff. I have a regular old CD player, no ipods or other kind of MP3 player.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?

I love most colors, but especially pink (all shades), orange and brown (all three together even!!). I do not like "day glo" colors or really bright crayon colors (the ones called "blue, green, red, orange").

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

I am married with no children. I have an elderly cat, who is not doing so well these days (hard question).

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

Yes to all except ponchos.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

Sweaters and socks.

13. What are you knitting right now?

Heh heh. Is this a trick question? See my sidebar. (3 sweaters in various stages and 1 pair of socks)

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Yes!!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

Most definitely circular. Addi Turbos are my first choice, although I do like bamboo as well. I do not care for plastic.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

Yes to both, thank god!

17. How old is your oldest UFO?

About 3 years ago I started a scarf with intarsia. I'm about 3/4 way done and I don't know if I will ever finish it.

18. What is your favorite holiday?

Halloween!!!

19. Is there anything that you collect?

Other than yarn, fabric, beads and buttons? I'm not much of a collector, but I am a little silly about Hello Kitty stuff and I love primitive crafts (I know, it's an odd combination).

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

I am seriously lusting for the new collaborative book by Tracey Ullman and Mel Clark, Knit 2 Together and have drooled over Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks and Sandra Dallas' Vintage Knits since they first came out. I would love to try the new "Seasilk" lace yarn and also Regia's new "Bamboo Color" sock yarn. I subscribe to "Interweave Knits" and buy "Vogue Knitting" regularly.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

Hmmm. I have the Magic Loop book for socks, but haven't tried it yet.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

Yes! My foot length (heel to toe ) is just shy of 9 inches and my circumference is 8.5 inches. I have short legs and chubby calves, so I like a shorter leg (around 5.5 to 6 inches).

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

December 29

Have fun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In reference to: Chloe's story. My heart goes out to you and sweet Chloe. I know how hard it is to talk about what you are going through. Sending postive thoughts your way.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm your secret pal! I'm so excited that your favorite holiday is Halloween! Let the spoiling begin!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to have this information! I've been wanting to send you a yarn care package from Spain. (Yes, I can not help but spoil surprises). Every day I pass a couple of knitting shops but had no idea what I would pick out. Personally I am drawn toward the novelty materials (especially if it has googly-eyes) but now I know better to send you that. There's nothing weorse than a polite "Thank you...I love it" when you can see in the eyes it really means, "What...are you nuts...you really think I'd like that."