Sunday, September 17, 2006

Weekend update

Finally back from my weekend at Mum's and I have a few interesting things to report, though not all are knitting relevant.

First and foremost, much was accomplished in the knitting department. I finished the first garter rib sock (lovely) and am making speedy progress on Olive. It's amazing how much I can get done when I eliminate distractions, such as a room full of "future projects" all bagged and calling my name. It occurred to me that if I hurry up and finish Olive, when the special package arrives in the mail sometime soon, I can begin Ivy without guilt. In many ways, this kind of speed knitting cures me of the ho-hum attitude that often takes over once I get beyond that first love; the feeling of newness and possibility is rarely sustainable all the way through a project. While racing to finish Olive, I am once again reminded that it takes nearly as many stitches to finish a pair of socks as it does to knit a sweater and that, if I set my mind to it, it's no less effort.

Secondly, whenever I visit my hometown I am at a loss to find good beer. By now you know that by "good beer" I mean fresh and tasty microbrew. Most often, I go to one of the local gas stations or grocery stores and hem and haw over the poor and predictable selection available. They always have the standard Bud/Coors/Miller trio with the occasional Heineken/Rolling Rock/Seasonal Shipyard, but I am always on the lookout for the hidden nugget. This time I struck gold, twice! Happy brew news! I have tried and now love: "Cadillac Mtn. Stout" by Bar Harbor Brewing Company and "Dogfish Head Chicory Stout". Yum!! Both of these rate a 5 on my score card! If you click on the link, it's at the end of the post.

My mom and I usually spend time shopping when I visit. Though I did manage to stay clear of yarn stores, I confess to purchasing a purse which is, contrary to my hairdresser's advice, larger than my head. I rationalized the size by saying it could double as a yarn tote: one section for purse stuff and another to hold portable knitting. There is something to be said for carrying such a large bag: it creates the optical illustion that your body is smaller. Really, why else to you think all those Hollywood waifs do it? So they can carry their books around? I think not (Meoww).

Speaking of books, I also scored two titles that have been on my wish list for some time: "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde and "The Effect of Living Backwards" by Heidi Juliavits. Too good to pass up at $1.99 each.

Lastly, just when you thought you couldn't find anything positive in the news about Iran, Mr. Strange found this story on Anousheh Ansari, soon to be the first female Iranian born American to go into space. As a side note, if you are interested in reading another heartwarming story about Iran, I highy recommend "Honeymoon in Purdah" by Alison Wearing.

No comments: